Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Inside Expectations and Uncertainties

One of my expectations is that this class will give us the tolls to take advantage of today's social media in a way that will be beneficial to our futures. After all, social media is the next hot commodity and this class is to fulfill a requirement in some fields of study. Countless people have been insightful and fortunate enough to use it to make a semi-successful name for themselves, integrate it seamlessly within their own careers or just put themselves out there more easily. I hope this class gives us all that same potential. As a Media Studies major in the J-School, I am curious to see how the TAM certificate can integrate with my own career path.

One of my uncertainties is exactly how much of this class will have to do with technology and how much it will have to do with communication. Maybe communication is a cornerstone to social media and digital technology, but it's still an entirely different field of study from this class. I know it's only the second day of class, but the introduction to this site and this blog assignment has been the only relevant technology discussion so far. I'm sure that will change immediately in the coming days.

Another expectation of mine is that this class will also be a chance for our generation to hone our writing skills. In terms of social media, long form blogs like this one are really the last bastion of actual semi formal writing skills that are still necessary not only in college and academia, but also in most workplaces. Blogs are really good for the texting generation to brush up on the essentials of the English language even in college.

Another uncertainty is that I may not be able to my time wisely enough between this and all the other classes I am taking this semester. This is the second blog I have to maintain for this class. I have a lot of reading to get done in my Media Studies class here soon. I also have to present a paper abstract in this class by next week. MY new work schedule at Norlin isn't all that conducive to studying during my shifts. This first week has just felt packed so far but I guess that's all on me, right? This being my senior year, I guess that's to be expected.

Other than that, I am excited to be taking this class.

1 comment:

  1. How much with technology and how much with communication.... I think that, while tech will be the explicit subject of most classes, communication -- very broadly construed -- will be a continuing subtext. Mark

    ReplyDelete